“Sports do not build character. They reveal it.” - John Wooden, Legendary UCLA Basketball Coach
The word ‘Sport’ comes from the old French word ‘desport’ which means ‘leisure’. Sport is an activity engaged in for relaxation and amusement.
Sports has an effect on the five “C’s, namely - Competence, Confidence, Connections, Character and Caring - which are considered critical components of positive youth development. Many facets of playing sports are the discipline of training, learning teamwork, learning sportsman spirit, dedication, and, learning leadership.
Sports/NCC/NSS is a compulsory course for undergraduate students in PDPU. We at PDPU encourage students to play various games which help them to develop extra-curricular skills.
Sports Activities & Infrastructure available at PDPU:
- Lawn Tennis
- Table Tennis
Regular coaching camps are also organized for all the students of PDPU.
In order to provide every student in the university with an opportunity to compete in his/her game of interest and to identify the required talent pool among student, Sports Committee under the Office of Student Activities Involvement and Leadership (OSAIL) of PDPU, organises Intra University events in all the games and sports mentioned above.
PDPU is a member of Association of Indian Universities (AIU). Students of PDPU participate in the Sports Tournament organized by AIU.
PDPU Open Tennis Championship
POTC is first event of its kind to be organized by University students of Gujarat. It is an open-for-all tournament; it attracts students from Educational institutes, coaching centres and academics alike. Participants of POTC play in categories of Men’s Singles, Men’s Doubles and Women’s Singles.
- About 200 players participated in first POTC from all over India.
- Every Year prize money of Rs. 1, 00,000 is to winners in various categories.
PDPU also participates in Khel Mahakhumbh organised by Government of Gujarat every year.
Achievements in Khel Mahakhumbh:
- PDPU Girls Basketball Team won Khel Mahakhumbh 2014
- PDPU Boys Basketball Team was runner up in Khel Mahakhumbh 2014
- PDPU student Dhruv Shah won the bronze medal in Taekwondo in Khelmahakumbh 2015
PDPU also participates in various inter college competitions in various universities like DA-IICT, BITS Pilani, Gujarat National Law University(GNLU), IIM-Ahmedabad, Nirma University and many more.
- Petrocup (Inter college sports fest)
- CSL ( Capital Season League)
- Khel Mahakumbh (Football)
- Friendly matches against surrounding educational institutes (GNLU,IIT-GN, NIFT, DA-IICT, NIRMA)
- Energy cup (Inter Management colleges & corporate sports fest)
- PDPU Open Tennis Championship
Every Year PDPU hosts following Sports Tournaments:
In order to develop students as players, PDPU developed a Sports Academy.
Sports Academy Objective:-
- To identify students with outstanding abilities and place them in an environment designed to produce sporting and educational excellence
- To encourage students to maintain their academic interest using sport as the means of engaging them to achieve the best they can be
- To provide opportunities for males and females to continue playing sport competitively upon leaving school and develop exit pathways to encourage further participation.
- To develop a culture in which students behave with dignity, professionalism and respect.
- To provide lifelong learning experiences through teamwork, discipline and cooperation.
Sports Academy Deliverables:-
- Access to all the Sporting facilities on PDPU’s campus.
- Coaching sessions led by an professional external coach.
- Opportunity for trials of representative teams of university, which will participate in tournaments all around the nation.
- Bespoke Sports Academy Kit for players.
Sports Academy Rules:-
- All the academy members are treated equally and fairly to ensure they aspire to their full potential on and off the playing field.
- For students and staff to work within an environment which applies learning concepts, long term development principles and best practice in the development of the elite performance.
- Only qualified coaches will work with the academy.
- A culture of improvement and personal development will drive Sports Academy Provision.
- Players who are regular to the practice sessions only will be selected in University’s team
- There will be two groups for coaching:
- Probable players of the university’s team – Executive Members of Academy.
- Interested player’s for learning a game / sport – Members of Academy
- Practice sessions will be of two types:-
- First type, only for executive members and
- Second type, for all the Members.
- There will be shifting of players every week from category 1 to 2 and vice versa as per the directions of Office of Sports.
- Players have to pass a nominal medical / fitness test by the coach concerned before becoming a member of the Academy.
- Initially the camp will be for one month period & 5 days a week.
|Sr. No||Tentative dates||Events|
|1||12th-20th August||Intra University Competitions
(Chess, Carom, Table Tennis)
|2||16th August Onwards||Coaching Camp Starts|
|3||07th – 15th October||Intra University Competition
|4||16th - 20th October||PDPU Open Lawn-Tennis Tournament|
|5||16th October Onwards||Coaching Camp Starts|
|6||10th January Onwards||Practice Camp for PETROCUP Starts|
|7||11th February - 15th February 2016||PETROCUP-2016|
|8||20th February||Cricket Intra University Tournament|
|9||Before End Semester Examination||Farewell Matches|
About the committee:
The PDPU Sports Committee is a student body dedicated to the development of sports and is responsible for all the information regarding sports activities at PDPU.
To encourage and nourish sportsmanship in students and strengthen ties with different universities through commendable sportsman spirit. The committee aims to provide the students with means and environment to pursue their passion in sports.
The committee organises a multitude of events throughout the year. Coaching camps, open to all the students, are conducted for all the sports. GENESIS - The Intra-University Tournament is held throughout the year. The Inter-University Tournament, PETROCUP, is one of the largest sports fest of Gujarat and has observed participation from more than 60 colleges from Gujarat and neighbouring states. PETROCUP ’16 also had an international participant, the Royal University of Bhutan.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Avail sports equipment for students and maintain a record of it on a regular basis
- Obtaining permission to hold sports events on college campus
- Sort out issues which occur during matches
- To look for sponsors for the sports events taking place on campus
Sports Committee 2016-17:
|4||Yashu Pratap Singh||Advisor|
|5||Rishabh Mehta||General Secretary|
|6||Sumiran Narayan||Co-General Secretary|
|8||Mitul Vala||Athletics (Secretary)|
|12||Anurag Singh||Badminton (Secretary)|
|14||Ronak Jasani||Basketball (Secretary)|
|18||Meet Bhatia||Chess & Carrom (Secretary)|
|19||Roopam Devani||Chess & Carrom|
|20||Prakher Mishra||Chess & Carrom|
|21||Jatin Lakhani||Chess & Carrom|
|22||Harsh Patel||Cricket (Secretary)|
|26||Jay Patel||Football (Secretary)|
|31||Kashyap Patel||Kabaddi (Secretary)|
|34||Mitesh Chaudhary||Kho-Kho (Secretary)|
|36||Naman Shah||Lawn Tennis (Secretary)|
|37||Harshit Thakkar||Lawn Tennis|
|38||Bhaumik Ashar||Lawn Tennis|
|39||Upasana Purohit||Table Tennis (Secretary)|
|40||Yash Barun||Table Tennis|
|41||Joy Patel||Volleyball (Secretary)|
|55||Meenoni Daga||Documentation (Head)|
|59||Raj Dhakecha||Fine Arts|
|60||Abhishek Shah||Graphic Designing|
|61||Tanuj Jain||Graphic Designing|
Duties and Roles of Student Committee Members
Every student organization is required to have an advisor. The advisor has various responsibilities towards the student organization, the most important of which is to help his/her individual organization in reaching their objectives. Advisors play an important and vital role in the guidance and fulfilment of student organization goals and are an integral part of campus life.
- Provide continuity to the group by exploring regulations, rules and responsibilities with organization members.
- Assist in program planning and development.
- Make sure that plans for any activity in question conform to general university policy.
- Approve/deny all official committee functions before the functions happen.
- Be aware of any monetary transactions of the committee.
- Understand the organization’s constitution, be aware of the committee’s purpose, and assist in formulating goals and planning for the organization.
- Assist the organization in planning and effecting its programs and events, as well as, to refer organizers to appropriate university resources, which may aid in the planning process.
- Serve as a sounding board.
- Serve as a liaison between the university and the student group, which includes interpreting university and state policies and procedures.
General Secretary :
The committee is required by the Office of Student Activities, Involvement and Leadership to have a General Secretary. The people fulfilling these roles need to dedicate a substantial amount of time to the group to ensure that it runs successfully.
The General Secretary is the chief officer of any club or society, the public head, the one ultimately responsible for its activities and for the clubs relations within the University and outside. The primary purpose of the GS is one of leadership - to set the pace for the group and lend it some purpose, direction, and guidance. The role of the leader is different depending on the situation, but it's important that the leader is sensitive to the needs of individual members and to the group as a whole.
- To coordinate between different departments of respective student committee and ensuring flawless execution of yearly activities and committee events
- To help advisor and faculty mentor in making additions to Student Committees for formation of fest committee at least 4 months prior to the fest.
- To serve as single point of contact for student committee
- To represent student committee as and when required in front of authorities and organizations.
- To be in touch with his/her counterparts in nearby universities/colleges so that inter college relations can be made stronger.
- To invite suggestions for making event execution processes management and student friendly.
- To advise respective heads/coordinators in appointing team mates for their respective departments.
- To organize monthly meetings of student committees and ensuring work done over MOMs of previous meetings.
Responsibilities of the General Secretary include:
Co- General Secretary :
- To play the role of General Secretary in his /her absence.
- To resolve all the queries of club committees regarding execution of events.
- To facilitate the functioning of different departments of student committee.
- To help General Secretary in coordinating between departments.
- To act as head to a certain department in absence of respective leader.
- Co-General Secretary shares the right, of excluding or adding any member in consultation with faculty mentor, with General Secretary.
- To head and coordinate new projects and proposals put up by committee and making sub committees for execution of the same.
- To carry out regular meetings with club committees to ensure smooth functioning and knowing problems faced by students.
- To prepare committees proposal and budgets with General Secretary and Treasurer.
The responsibilities of the Co-General Secretary are as follows –
- To review event budgets and proposals on behalf of Student committee along with Event Management Head, General Secretary and Co- General Secretary.
- To prepare budget for student committee
- To manage finances of committee and leading the process of procurement of new equipments under student committee.
- To ensure the regularity of clubs in completing the closure procedure of every event executed under the banner of club.
Secretaries of the different committees of each sport are the connecting link between the general secretary, co-general secretary, advisors and the managing members and the other members of the committee. They guide their respective committee members in carrying out their tasks.
Members of each committee of their respective sport handle all the work ranging from looking for coaches of the team, requirements of the respective sport, equipment to organizing matches and selecting the team.