The Institute of International Education is a world leader in the exchange of people and ideas. For close to 100 years, we have led efforts to expand opportunities for Americans to study abroad, including our flagship program, The Fulbright Program, on behalf of the U.S. government. We believe that peace and prosperity in the 21st century depend on increasing the capacity of people to think and work on a global and intercultural basis. As technology opens borders, educational and professional exchanges open minds.
"International experience is one of the most important components of a 21st century resume." – Dr. Allan E. Goodman, President and CEO, IIE
Studying abroad is one of the best ways American college students can acquire international experience necessary to succeed in today's global marketplace.
According to the Open Doors Report on International and Educational Exchange, 295,000 American college students studied abroad in 2011/12 in credit-bearing and non-credit programs. While that may sound like a lot, it in fact represents less than 10% of the 2.6 million students graduating with associates or baccalaureate degrees each year.
Generation Study AbroadTM seeks to address that shortfall by bringing employers, governments, associations, and others together to build on current best practices and find new ways to extend study abroad opportunities to tens of thousands of college students for whom traditional study abroad programs aren't working.
Generation Study Abroad is a five-year initiative of the Institute of International Education (IIE) to mobilize resources and commitments with the goal of doubling the number of U.S. students studying abroad by the end of the decade. IIE is investing $2 million in the initiative and seeking funds to provide scholarships to college and high school students and grants to institutions. The initiative, which is timed to coincide with IIE's centennial in 2019, will highlight IIE's commitment to study abroad and encourage purposeful, innovative action to get more Americans to undertake a meaningful international experience through academic study abroad programs, as well as internships, service learning, and non-credit educational experiences.
For More Info: Click Here
Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University (PDPU) has been an IIE, New York member since 2012 and since then both PDPU and IIE has undertaken various Initiatives together. To further strengthen the relations with IIE - New York, PDPU has committed to be a partner in the Generation Study AbroadTM initiative and has developing new study abroad/summer or internship programs customized for US students. PDPU has set the target to double or significantly increase the number of U.S. students hosted at PDPU by the end of the decade.
By joining this commitment, PDPU agrees to:
- Make a significant pledge to increase the number of exchange or non-degree U.S. students hosted
- Take actions to undertake new and expanded activities to attract more U.S. students to study abroad, such as by offering scholarships, expanding partnerships and increasing marketing efforts
- Update IIE on an annual basis on their activities and progress towards meeting target goals
- Share strategies and best practices, which will be featured at II E's annual Best Practices Conference
- Put a Generation Study Abroad badge on their websites
- Join the conversation at #GenerationStudyAbroad
In addition to meeting the target/agreements listed above, PDPU pledges to conduct new or expanded activities that help broaden U.S. participation in study abroad as per below:
- Launch a new study abroad initiative to attract U.S. students
- Implement a new budget/fee model to support study abroad from the United States
- Expand existing exchange programs
- Collaborate with U.S. partner institutions to improve credit transfer
- Develop new programs, such as a summer or internship program that are attractive for U.S. students
As a part of commitment to Generation Study Abroad (GSA) Initiative, PDPU along with IIE, India organized a workshop on November 27-28, 2015 for developing Study India program for US students as a first step. The workshop has developed an insight about Generation Study Abroad (GSA) Initiative amongst PDPU faculty, staff and students. As a next step, PDPU has resolved to move ahead and is working on devising the Study India program through GSA initiative.